Prosecutors in Madrid filed a complaint to a court in Pozuelo de Alarcon on Tuesday that accused the four-time Ballon d Or winner of a voluntary and conscious breach of his tax obligations.
The complaint alleged Ronaldo created a business structure in 2010 to conceal earnings from image rights between 2011 and 2014.
However, Gestifute – the company owned by the 32-year-old s agent Jorge Mendes – released a statement detailing their client s arrangements for payments related to his image rights and insisted there has never been concealment, or the slightest intention to conceal .
Gestifute said the company, Tollin, does not amount to an offshore structure for evading taxes and was established in 2004 when Ronaldo signed for Manchester United.
Madrid ha…
Getafe have completed the signing of goalkeeper Ruben Yanez from Real Madrid.
The 23-year-old has signed a four-year contract and moves to the Coliseum Alfonso Perez for an undisclosed fee.
He will spend the 2017-18 season on loan with Cadiz in the Spanish second tier.
The club expresses its thanks for what has been an exemplary career throughout the seven seasons the player has spent as part of Real Madrid, which has seen him come through the academy and break into the first-team squad, the LaLiga champions said in a statement.
Yanez joined the Madrid youth set-up from Girona in 2010 and progressed into the C team and the Castilla side.
He became third-choice keeper under head coach Zinedine Zidane, behind Keylor Navas and Kiko Casilla, but he f…
CAF Champions League holders ES Setif will face familiar opposition in the form of fellow Algerian teams USM Alger and MC El Eulma following Tuesday s draw for the 2015 group stage.
The two-time winners will also take on ES Tunis conquerors Al Merreikh in Group B of the knockout stages.
The Sudanese side will compete in the competition s group stage for the first time since 2009.
In Group A, Smouha s reward for knocking out 2012 Confederation Cup champions AC Leopards is a berth alongside four-time African champions TP Mazembe.
Al Hilal will represent Sudan in the pool while Moroccan outfit Moghreb Tetouan will compete in their first Champions League group stage.
Group A: Smouha, Moghreb Tetouan, TP Mazembe, Al Hilal
Group …
Manchester City have handed a one-year contract extension to Eliaquim Mangala despite the defender not featuring in Pep Guardiola s first-team plans.
Mangala last played a Premier League match for City in the December 2017 0-0 draw at Crystal Palace.
The French centre-back was then sent on loan to Everton, where he suffered a serious knee ligament injury in his second match.
The 28-year-old has not featured for City in any competition this season but recently returned to training and the club confirmed his terms had been extended beyond June 2019 in a short statement.
Eliaquim Mangala has signed a one-year contract extension, keeping him at Manchester City until 2020, it read.
. has signed a one-year contract extension at the Club.
Pep Guardiola and Manchester City director of football Txiki Begiristain do not tend to have much time for second chances.
City s squad has undergone a substantial refit since Guardiola s appointment in 2016, but a small handful of high-profile names have slipped through the net in similar circumstances.
Dani Alves, Alexis Sanchez and Jorginho all seemed set for moves to the Etihad Stadium before having their heads turned by offers from elsewhere. Begiristain doubled down on a take-it-or-leave-it stance and key targets signed for domestic and European rivals.
Aymeric Laporte s 2016 U-turn was slightly different in that he stayed at Athletic Bilbao to rebuild after a serious leg injury earlier that year. Nevertheless, it proved an inconvenient change of heart as …
Italy and Napoli forward Lorenzo Insigne has revealed he almost quit the game after consistently being told he was too small to make it as a professional.
The 26-year-old, who started in Italy s disappointing 1-1 draw with Macedonia on Friday, has carved out a superb career for himself at Napoli after impressing on loan at Pescara in 2011-12.
It could have all been so different for the diminutive attacker, though, had he listened to the advice of scouts when he was younger.
They used to say I had some talent, but was too short, Insigne told UEFA.com.
At one point, I wanted to quit football, as the scouts all told me the same thing and I thought it might be futile to continue. Then I had a trial with Napoli and it went well.
l Italia pareggia 1…
Bristol City moved back up to fifth in the Championship with a 1-0 victory over fellow play-off contenders Middlesbrough on Tuesday.
Adam Webster s first-half header proved the difference at the Riverside, where Boro were booed off after a fifth straight defeat that left them eighth – two points adrift of Aston Villa in sixth.
George Saville blazed over a glorious opportunity before Jonny Howson failed to get the better of Max O Leary when one on one in the 20th minute.
Howson saw another attempt deflected onto the post and Ashley Fletcher s follow-up was cleared off the line, with Webster s goal coming against the run of play in the 31st minute.
Britt Assombalonga also struck the woodwork after the restart but Boro were unable to find a route back int…
Australia have turned to former Netherlands and Saudi Arabia head coach Bert van Marwijk for this year s World Cup in Russia, it was announced on Thursday.
The Socceroos were searching for a new coach after Ange Postecoglou surprisingly walked away, despite guiding Australia to a fourth successive World Cup via the inter-continental play-offs in November.
Dutchman Marwijk – who led the Netherlands to the 2010 World Cup final – will take charge for the showpiece tournament, starting in June, having secured Saudi Arabia s qualification for the first time since 2006 before the 65-year-old was unable to agree a new contact with the Asian giants.
It remains to be seen who will coach the Socceroos after the World Cup, though Sydney FC boss Graham Arnold is the fav…
Bernd Leno swapped London clubs as the Germany goalkeeper left Arsenal to join Fulham on Tuesday in a move that could rekindle his World Cup prospects.
The 30-year-old sealed a move in a reported £8million deal, having lost his Gunners first-team place to Aaron Ramsdale last season.
He joins Fulham, who return to the Premier League in the new campaign, becoming the latest addition to Marco Silva s squad ahead of a season that gets under way at the weekend.
Fulham host last season s runners-up Liverpool on Saturday at Craven Cottage.
Leno, who did not feature in Germany s squad for Nations League games at the end of last season, has won nine caps for his country, but the hold of Bayern Munich s Manuel Neuer on the national team number one jersey has meant…
Besiktas have dominated Turkish football and now the Istanbul giants are on the right path to becoming a European force, according to former midfielder Manuel Fernandes.
Once Istanbul s third club behind bitter rivals Galatasaray and Fenerbahce, Turkish champions Besiktas are now one of Europe s cult favourites having emerged from the shadows of their noisy neighbours.
They have won back-to-back Super Lig titles and started a social media phenomenon with the use of phrase Come to Besiktas to announce signings on Twitter.
It was used to unveil the arrival of Pepe from Real Madrid, while former Manchester City and Valencia striker Alvaro Negredo also made the move to Vodafone Park, which has fast become an appealing destination for players.
While Besikta…